Thursday, February 5, 2015

School Policies

Are (should)  policies and guidelines be consistent from school to school or class to class? How do policies both protect and/or cause barriers when trying to implement 21st Century teaching tools?

To answer this question, I went in search of school and board policies about the acceptable use of technology in schools. After some digging, I found the board policies for the Romeo, Michigan county school district. I have family in the area and was curious to see what I would uncover. I also looked at British Colombia and found their "Access to Online Learning Resources" document that outlined the responsibilities of users.



I found it interesting when examining the policies from the Michigan that they were open to high school students having access to their phones but that K-8 students were to leave them in their lockers during the school day and only to be used during after school activities.

In B.C, the document I found outlines detailed use of electronic resources. It addresses appropriate behaviours and interactions as well as the ethical use of information found online. I was not able to find much digging around school to school, about technology.

In our own school, we asked all teachers and students to work together to clearly outline what their 'norms' around technology and its use in the classroom would look like during the school year. We asked that they be submitted to the main office and that they were clearly posted in the classroom. The classroom norms are revisited throughout the year. The Board's acceptable use guideline is a document that is shared at the beginning of the year and doesn't get seen again unless issues arise, although they have attempted to make kid friendly posters to make the policies more visible!

I don't believe that one size fits all, and just as we differentiate our lessons for our students, the use of technology should also be somewhat differentiated depending on the needs of a specific cohort. I believe that guidelines should be created class by class -in student friendly language. I believe there is room for Administrators and Teacher leaders to take class information, know their school and develop school guidelines that suit the available technologies and programs offered. If the policies are too restrictive, the technology loses its value -the innovation, spur of the moment learning dies. If the policies are too loose then students have no anchor, no compass for their use and application of online tools.

3 comments:

  1. I do believe that every classroom should have their own regulations on internet use but, in order to manage and set guidelines we need to follow board direction. In my classroom where they are adults this can be so important. I need to have the direction given on this otherwise it would be chaos. Many would take advantage and visit sites not appropriate for school...then claim they are adults .....but I explain board computers must follow board rules....sometimes that is my only safeguard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very interesting that there is so much diversification in not only differing boards but even in schools and different panels within boards. At the last high school I taught in technology use and prevalence totally depended on the teacher, which, did cause some issues with the kids and consistency. However, even though following board policy not all teachers could agree on tech use. Fast forward to my new job teaching grade 5 and technology (tablets, phones, iPods) are to be kept in backpacks or at home. I agree with how you surmised the situation Nicole, basically it is a double edged sword :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you took some time to compare the policies from schools or boards from different areas. In my Junior ABQ course, we are having this discussion and it is very telling and very interesting how many educators and leaders still feel that there is no place for phones or devices in the classroom...and as a result, policies are created to state this. I remember when my own district created a "no devices policies" (about 11 years ago) and I fought it immediately since I used my phone (palm pilot) for dictionary and gradebook. I'm sure I was seen as ahead of the game in some respects. I wonder if it takes teachers or leaders to question policies (as hard as it sometimes is) in order to make change and be progressive. What are your thought?

    ReplyDelete

Fair Use

The ideas, opinions and information expressed in the Hamel TechTalk blog are my own, unless otherwise stated. Occasionally material that belongs to someone else will be shared. Please request permission from the owner if you wish to use an idea that has been shared here. Thank you.